05 March 2011

Early War Polish - Reconnaissance tank platoon

My reconnaissance tank platoon is now finished, and I put them on small bases. If you ask me that looks better than having no base for these little buggers. With Roman Orlik as the platoon commander and upgrading two TKS with the 20mm guns this unit sums up to 145 points. I had some doubts about the correct amount of 20mm guns, as the rules said "up to half" and the unit is 5 vehicles strong....
Choose my interpretation of "rounded up" - especially if I pay extra for Orlik.

I think these 4 tankettes ended up a notch better than the test model, don’t know if that is me getting adapted to 15mm or if it is some kind of placebo effect originating from completing a unit.



Dr Falkenhayn of LAF/SoTR forum asked about more comparison pictures so I took some with both 28mm (Warlord Games) and 15mm Battlefront tankettes next to each other. It looks like some sort of messed up WW2 version of Gulliver’s travels lol! I use the large ones for Secrets of the Third Reich (2 with MG and 1 with 20mm AT). They are pretty good at scaring infantry in SoTR, where machineguns are more valuable than heavy anti tank weapons.

The 15mm tankettes have been painted slightly lighter on purpose as I thought the dark green and brown of my 28mm scale painting didn’t look good on 15mm.


How I paint Polish armored vehicles (using Vallejo & GW paints)

Primed black, basecoat entire model in Orkhide Shade. Make the camo pattern in Scorched Earth and Rotting Flesh. Wash it all with Devlan Mud.

Now mix Knarloc Green and Orkhide shade 40-60 and repaint the green areas with the lighter shade of green. Bone White is painted over the washed Rotting Flesh camo pattern. The Brown areas are painted with a 50-50 mix of Scorched Brown and Bestial Brown.

Tracks are painted with a 50-50 mix of Scorched Brown and Scarlett Red washed with Devlan Mud. I also made some wear and tear along most of the hard edges by mixing black and dark brown paint and drag the brush along the lines or picking out contours using the tip of the brush.


I painted the models and the bases separately. More 7TP tanks and artillery coming up.

2 comments:

  1. Cute little things. Pity they were no match for the Panzers :(

    The 15mm tankettes have been painted slightly lighter on purpose as I thought the dark green and brown of my 28mm scale painting didn’t look good on 15mm.

    Isn't this an established principle, that you have to paint smaller minis in lighter tints than larger ones to get the same visual effect? Presumably something about the amount of light reflected to the eye from a smaller area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think so - never painted 15mm up to the point of this project so I'm learning as I progress.

    The tankettes are very nice, I like how the force organisation kinda forces the Polish player to field them as "light tanks" just like they were deployed during WW2 due to lack of real tanks. The limit of tank platoons in 3 out of 4 army lists in the Blitzkrieg book really forces to Polish player to rely on anti tank guns and massed infantry. And even then, the tanks you get are few and not super good - so they are best kept in reserve only to be sent into battle when the situation really calls for it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...