18 April 2011

The cavalry has arrived

Finally all my Polish Early War 15mm orders have arrived - I now have a large pile of lead one of my shelves, neatly organized into "platoon piles" with notes on what's what stuck beneath them.

The only thing I was waiting for were the Polish cavalry from OldGlory/True North and it arrived today. I had ordered a 1 blister of field cap and 1 blister of Adrian helmet cavalry, along with a field cap Command. Enough to make a platoon of cavalry -and, as I read in the rules for the infantry Battalion - a mounted recon platoon. Those remnant models that are making up my "Recon platoon lead pile" suddenly have become even more interesting as I will be able to use them as dismounted cavalry/dismounted recon when not played as a regular recon platoon on foot.

Painting of my first infantry platoon is nearly completed, it was delayed by commission work and some school work but it should be finished early this week. I'm thinking of actually assembling and painting the cavalry next. I know from a force organization standpoint that is daft since I need at least 2 infantry platoons to make a "legal" Infantry Battalion. But screw that I want me some horses LOL!

Besides, painting something else than 15 more infantry bases back to back might be a welcome change of pace.

The reason I ordered the True North cavalry was linked to my decision to use Forged in Battle infantry. As the FiB models are slightly smaller than the Battlefront ones the cavalry from Battlefront would not work. The TN cavalry on the other hand, just like their infantry, matches size with the FiB miniatures. I really like the riders wearing Adrian Helmets. Still not decided on what pennant to use with the unit - whether to go for a small pennant or cool regimental colors hmmm...

Some inspirational pictures of Polish cavalry below (love the look of the guy holding the banner, looks almost like a roman legionary)

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see these painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I have a number of other nations from this same line. Didn't even know that had these. Nice find and I too look forward to seeing them slathered in paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! Nothing like horses

    ReplyDelete
  4. and that is why they lost miserably. haha. horses vs. tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Eddie, the Polish cavalry were "Dragoons" - riding to battle - dismounting during combat. Horse artillery were also deployed with the rest of the cavalry. The cavalry were not meant to use cold steel, but during the September campaign there were numerous cavalry charges against unprepared, surprised and ambushed enemy infantry formations of both Soviet and German origin.

    As for cavalry against tanks, I'm pretty tired of explaining that over and over though I guess it fills an educational function on Polish history. That is a pure myth and made up propaganda used by the Germans, maintained by the communists after WW2 and taught in schools up to recent days.

    The goal of that was simple , to maintain the idea of superior Red Army tactics among the occupied countries of the eastern block and convince the Polish public that their army and military leaders were idiots.

    One has to wonder how people outside of Poland could believe such a myth (hell I had that stupid shit in my history schoolbook here in Sweden in the early 2000). A country that used tanks and armored vehicles itself would know what an armored vehicle is. Why would a cavalryman charge anything like that?

    I won't get longwinded as you can easily find all the information about it from various independent sources on the internet by using google.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As to Poland losing, I would really need to break down a lot of historical factors from 1918 up to the invasion of 1939. Norman Davies has a good 2 part book on Polish history "Gods Playground", in the second book he explains very thoroughly the events leading up to the rise of the 2nd republic after WW1, the Polish-Bolshevik war of 1919-21 and events leading up to and including WW2.

    In short the factors behind Polands defeat were:
    1) Technological inferiority as the Germans outnumbered Polish tanks and airplanes severely. Mainly caused by factors of the interwar years. Poland had 20 years to rebuild a country after having been partitioned for 123years. Economy and military standards from 3 different countries merged into what became the 2nd Republic.

    2) An alliance with France and the UK that was absolutely pointless, making defense plans built upon that alliance agreement fall apart.

    3( The Poles knew that the Germans would attack but didn’t expect an attack to happen until early 1940.

    4) The non aggression pact with the Soviet Union which backstabbed Poland on September 17th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo of the charging cavalry, especially the rather rotund chap in the foreground, poor horse :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah. thanks for the information. I too heard about the cavalry charge against armor. I knew there were instances of it happening in WW1 so I actually believed they did it too, stupidly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...