17 February 2012

Burning my GW and Chessex dice

Short backstory, I've been using the exact same set of dice since I started with Warhammer 40k sometime back in 2003. These dice followed me from Warhammer 40k to Warhammer Fantasy, Secrets of the Third Reich and every other game I have started with since and that requires a D6 to generate results. These dice have been beyond worthless, ruined countless games for me most recently games of Flames of War where any roll failed to even get close to 5's and 6's as witnessed by all the players present. As you can see these dice have their shitty egg shaped rounded corners which make them biased towards certain results rather than providing a decent randomness in the results.

As I today, and praise whatever higher power there is, received my "Koplow" dice I fulfilled a promise to myself. I simply burned those fucking GW dice - and filmed it for my own pleasure.

The Koplow dice don't have 100% straight corners, but compare them to the shape of the Chessex/GW dice - it's insane. I also want to thank "thediceshop" for actually coming through on their deliver time description on their site. Especially since I was planning on using these new dice during the Flames of War tournament tomorrow. I don't think I would have handled one more ruined gaming experience.
Having spent an hour rolling my new dice I am happy to say they provide a LOT more randomness in the results. Well, now maybe all tactics utilized in upcoming games won't be screwed thanks to predictable low rolls.

24 comments:

  1. LOL indeed never really thought about it to be honest considered dice to be dice...however though

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little extreme but justified, an offering to the fickle dice gods......

    ReplyDelete
  3. @The Angry Lurker,

    I just wanted to avoid any potential homeless guy going through my trash to find the dice and start using them himself. Might have pushed such an individual over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sacrifice to Lady Luck, good luck in your tournament

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel honoured that you decided to share this sad, but needed, little slice of Hollywood with us mere mortals!!
    Long live the Rebellion!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fitting end for any GW product :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once ran over my cell phone repetitively with the car, then followed up with some smashes with a hammer. I understand your frustration and applaud you, it's a very cathartic experience isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mik

    Hahaha, yeah it's almost like in Fight Club where the narrator explains their regained manhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...We'll see... if you have appeased the Dice-Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol. You can always use random.org ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Won't you tactics be skewed since you've planned and developed them based on said low die rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @robertsjf,

    If anything my tactics which were always based upon what one would expect to be the average results generated by each unit should increase the amount of victories. Most of my failures have been attributed to bad die rolls. I'm not even talking about 1vs1 unit situations. But lining up several of my own units to make sure that, even if not all my shots are hits - there should still be enough to destroy the enemy - and what happens? No hits are rolled.

    I'm really looking forward to playing my first game using the new dice tomorrow. At least it will give me a peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Dice Gods accept your offerings! And more seriously, those dice must've really upset you if you disposed of them like that.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the "Part IV: A New Hope" theme music too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I burned every dice that had let me down, I'd have a massive fire. And no dice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, but what if the dice you just burned had produce of the low results they were ever going to and were now going to roll high. You had rolled your last ever 1 in the previous game and were now on 6 street.
    And with your sacrifice you have now displeased the dice gods. That they have cursed you to ever roll low in your time of need, that you have been forsaken....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just joking!
    A change is as good as any and besides those new dice look great. I hope that your exam went well and I look forward to seeing more battle reports.

    Now if only I could burn the built-in dice in the Bloodbowl computer game. No more freaking double skulls followed by double skulls on the reroll!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol, did anyone look at the video and notice how many upturned 4+'s there were? Like they were asking to be spared from the flames by pleasing you with high rolls!

    Apologies for the comment spam. It was a pleasing post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No problem minutieofwar, laughed at the jokes, especially the one about upturned 4's :-D

    And agree about the computer Bloodbowl dice, there is some bugg going on there, especially in the re-roll dice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent touch with the starwars music, dam funny.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We thank you for your continued support

    -Koplow Games

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...