24 February 2012

Polish Winged Hussar company painted up

After much delay due to school work, an exam, a FoW tournament and actually spending something like 3 times the amount of time painting these guys compared to all my other painted By Fire and Sword units so far - here are the crown jewel of the Polish cavalry and the renaissance equivalent of a German WW2 Tiger tank.

I love this unit, it was worth spending a bit more time and effort on them as they will be the centerpiece of  my cavalry regiment. 2 companies can be fielded in the same regiment, so there will be 3 more stands added in the future.

The flag and pennants are all handmade and hand painted. I had too much trouble with the excellent looking but very fiddly original sticker pennants and I really wanted them for extra effect so I made my own using regular paper brushed with PVA glue and then painted normally.

I also took a few pictures of the current status of my By Fire and Sword project. What I have is exactly a half minimal strength regiment of Dragoons and a half minimal strength of cavalry. To make a division I need one more regiment, and after all the cavalry I think I will add German mercenary infantry since the models are cool and infantry paints up much quicker. I would love to add volunteers/nobility militia as they too look really cool but I think painting infantry will be a welcome change when I paint up the second half of these two cavalry regiments.

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous looking unit. There's no mistaking who those guys are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vlad!

    I've had this idea of white horses for the Winged Hussars in the back of my head for a long while. I wanted to have maximal contrast between the horses and all the details and riders. And since this will be the only unit with 100% white horses it will make them pop on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The extra time was worth it. These are very detailed and well polished. An excellent elite unit within an already great force. Great work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! The group shots are making me re-consider my opinion of 15mm not being very well suited for the massed effect. What point total will the army you're working on mount up to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Luka

    This game uses points but not in the same way as other games do. You can have two armies with different points total and it would still be valid. The guy with the smaller army gets to pick tactics and deployment but also suffers a negative morale effect.

    I'm going for a small division, which would be 1 Regiment of Dragoons, 1 Regiment of Cavalry, 1 Regiment of infantry and a General to lead them. Minimum size of everything, so double the amount of models already painted up and add 1 box of infantry (12 stands) and I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I recall the scenario-specific force composition from your earlier coverage of the game. Was wondering more about how large the force you're working on will be in terms of this game's standards; small, medium or big.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be played on "tier 2" division level. And a small division at that (3 out of 5 regiment slots filled). The "tier 1" force is a kind of reconnaissance spearhead unit made up of light cavalry and such which is mainly used to get a feel for the game. It does however require a bunch of mixed boxed sets so I went for the next level immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proud to be Polish when I'm looking at these pictures. Very well done Anatoli!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really did a great job on these! I love the Winged Hussars too and am really looking forward to getting my hands on these rules! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! And a very inspiring series of posts on the By Fire and Sword rules & minatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Them Hussars are looking awsome :). Good idea with the white horses!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...