18 March 2012

Brink of Battle 400pts French Indian War demo game

Played another game of Brink of Battle this weekend with my buddy with whom I also played Malifaux the same afternoon. He is usually very halfhearted in his interest when I bring something new over to his house. However he has always talked about various time periods like modern warfare and not being able to play them and kept nagging about the existing games out there. So I talked him into giving Brink of Battle a try, pitched him the idea of being able to use the rules for whatever he might want to play on a skirmish level. So he game in, a bit reluctant but I kept his interest with the French Indian War setting.

I had written two "standard" forces, built around Period 2 "Early Modern". Roughly 400points per side. He picked the Mohawk raiding force led by an old soldier, while I ran the colonial regulars and militiamen.

Mohawk raiders (Standard force)
…………………………………..
Commander  110pts
Old Soldier
Sharpshooter
CBT   CMD   CON
   5        5         5
Flintlock Musket+Bayonet
(Longarm)
15/2/4
Sword
(Vicious)
1/C/2
…………………………………..
Mohawk warriors  305pts
CBT   CMD   CON
  4        4         5
Flintlock Musket (no bayonet)
(Longarm)
15/2/4
Sword
1/C/2
(Vicious)

415pts


French Canadian Colonials  (Standard Force)
…………………………………..
Commander  60pts
CBT   CMD   CON
   5        5         4

Flintlock Musket (no bayonet)
(Longarm)
15/2/4
…………………………………..
Veteran (Grenadier) 68pts
CBT   CMD   CON
   6        4         4

Flintlock Musket + bayonet
(Longarm)
15/2/4
Sword
1/C/2
(Vicious)
…………………………………..
Regular soldiers x3  141pts
CBT   CMD   CON
   4       3         4
Flintlock Musket + bayonet
(Longarm)
15/2/4
…………………………………..
Militia x3 129pts
CBT   CMD   CON
   4       3         3
Flintlock Musket (no bayonet)
(Longarm)
15/2/4

398pts


I had also written a condensed version of the rules, fitting all the necessary shooting/close combat/movement/morale rules on one page for quick reference. We did not play any specific scenario as such, it was purely a demo battle where one side had to kill or rout the other. I had bought some cotton balls since last time I played to represent the smoke generated by blackpowder weapons - need to spray them with thinned down PVA or something so they don't attach to terrain and such.

Anyway, battle lasted 5 turns. There was very little in terms of rules that needed to be explained beyond what I had on the quick reference sheet. The rules are after all quite easy to get into after a few minutes as you repeat everything often enough to quickly get the hang of it. We got into a few rules and situation which I had not been covered in my previous battle report. Such as close combat and shooting at enemies at point blank range.

There was decent amounts of cover on the table so models were usually within concealment or cover terrain, or the soldiers created concealment for themselves by firing their guns in the open obscuring their position with smoke. The Mohawk raiders managed to shoot one of the Colonial Regulars using a "Break" action just as he was taking aim at one of the Indians. Another Colonial Regular was slain in close combat by a charging Mohawk warrior, the situation sent one of the Colonial Militiamen running away in panic.

My Grenadier was about to charge the Mohawk in the following turn but was stopped, again by a "Break action", my opponent overall had great luck with the dice. He peeled away my order tokens on miniatures which had not been activated yet by scoring hits and "stunning" them. My lowly Militiamen took aim at the enemy leader, the rogue soldier, and scored a hit by rolling a really good result - but the enemy leader rolled almost equally high and escaped with a flesh wound. One of the Mohawk warriors was caught in the open as killed before reaching cover.

My force morale kicked in and I failed to keep my troops on the table, so the Colonials had to withdraw. Losing 2 men, one being mortally wounded and the other having a shattered arm making him unable to use 2-handed weapons anymore. The enemy Mohawk also suffered from a shattered arm.

It was a fun and fast paced game, the smoke counters added a lot to the visuals of the game. My friend got so caught up in the rules that he proposed we tried the Period 3 rules with some of his old Warhammer 40k miniatures. I think that would be possible using the core rules without waiting for the fantasy/sci fi expansion, so we will give that a try next time we see each other.

15 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you guys had a great time!

    We're currently doing demo's at ConQuest Sacramento. Response has been great!

    When Drew & I were playtesting Period 3-Modern games, we sometimes swapped in our SciFi minis to play. Worked just fine. I used some converted Traveller Imperial Marines, and Drew used his Eldar.

    In a couple weeks I'll post some scifi weapons & armor on my website at www.brinkofbattle.com that will 'fill the gap' for scifi gamers.

    Great review Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very interesting. I wish I had a copy of rules :)

    I can use these with my Old West miniatures.

    http://yori-hobby.blogspot.com/search/label/old%20west

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yori it should work just fine with Old West stuff as well. I have a bunch of Old West miniatures which I might use more often with these rules. I was compiling a "wishlist" with possible stuff I could finally get around to buy and use with Brink of Battle.

    So far on my wishlist I have;

    Modern Warfare (Period 3)
    Napoleonics (Period 2)
    Samurai (Period 1)
    War of the Roses (Period 1)

    I will finish some of my ongoing projects before getting more miniatures though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I read about this rule set the more interested I become. Great game report as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Faust, sounds great. I'm currently helping my friend to translate WH40k Eldar and Chaos Space Marines into Brink of Battle standard. I actually think they get to be more properly represented as they appear in the fluff and novels compared to how they are in the 40k rules. Marines should be tough as hell which you can represent with high constitution and heavy armor, Eldar could get both the additional movement and charge range traits, duel wielding weapons etc.

    Only thing we would need really is "Power weapons" to be represented.

    Have booked a game with Preedh from LAF this coming week so we should get some more French Indian War game done and perhaps try out Period 1 with his low fantasy miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great Alex! And yes, this rule system works beautifully for Old West. Especially Cavalry.

    For those looking to buy the rules, my lulu store opens tomorrow. You can link to it through my www.brinkofbattle.com website, or search for it from Lulu.com

    We just finished our two day run at ConQuest Sacramtento. I'm dead tired. Tomorrow night I'll post pictures on all my sites. We had a blast. 90% of the people who played a demo game bought the rules!

    I will also get the playtest Sci-Fi weapons & armor posted possibly by the weekend, so keep an eye out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just ordered the rules. You have Anatoli to thank for that! Cant wait to get em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Eddie! And yes, I do have Anatoli to thank for that! He's got the best reviews and reports on the net!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would highly recommend posting "how to" type videos on youtube. Just a suggestion. Would be a great way of showing people the game and how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Eddie, I would if I had a proper video camera. Making videos with my regular camera has proven yield crappy results as minimal amount of movement or shaking make the footage blurry and unwatchable :-/

    I really hope you enjoy the rules :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're working on that. I'll notify everyone when those are done.

    In the mean time, you can ask questions, etc, on our official forum on the Lead Adventure Forum here http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=39468.0

    Thanks,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that didn't hotlink. It's in the Other Adventures forum thread.

      Delete
  12. Where are the miniatures from?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mix of Perry Miniatures "American War of Independence" and Conquest Miniatures native Americans.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...