20 September 2013

Evil Dead (2013) review

Finally got to watch the remake of Evil Dead which was released earlier this year. Having watched the 3 original movies a couple of years ago I found them relatively well done with some interesting effects and good campy fun. They had some disgusting stomach turning moments and a few jump scares but were overall horror-comedies. And while I liked them I'm not a diehard fan of the series, but I was still interested in watching the remake since it got fairly good reviews upon its cinematic release.

The 2013 version is a well made movie and probably the best movie remake remake since Fright Night (2011). It's a good remake when you can watch both the original and the new version and like both for different reasons. Both of those movies succeed with it. In the case of Evil Dead, the original movie was very campy and humor driven, this one is a bit more serious and a LOT more gruesome.

It's not particularly scary, it has a few jump scares, but it is definitely more disturbing and the special effects are very well done. There were a couple of scenes that made me go "fuuuuu.....", a great mix of practical effects and "real" blood. At times the amount of gore is so overwhelmingly it gets hilarious, especially towards the end. There are very few jokes in the remake, but there are some things insane events that can make you laugh out loud  or make you shake your head (the characters keep fixing their wounds with duct tape).

But overall the movie is a lot more serious and adds a lot more character backgrounds and makes an effort to flesh out the characters and the reason for them being in this particular location. The characters, being 5 young people, travel to his old lodge in the woods where they aim to support one of their friends as she tries to kick her drug addiction. Where the original movie saw things "just happen", here they are given a background. The evil book is still central for the plot in the remake, but offers a lot more hints about future horrors when one of the character flips through the pages. Of course the drug addict is the first to see the scary shit, but no one believes her at first and a lot of the early horrors are attributed to drug psychosis or maybe some kind of disease contracted in the cabin cellar where someone had made a ritual with dead cats.

The ending was took an unexpected turn, and I have mixed feelings about it. It was unexpected, but it was also kind of implausible within the context of the movie considering what had been going on up until the end. But everything up until the very last couple of minutes is a good watch so I won't spoil the movie by writing a longer review. I recommend this to anyone who want to see a gory horror film with great effects.

7.5/10

3 comments:

  1. A movie that didn´t have Bruce Campbell in it is always worse then original as Bruce is awsome!

    /Ulfast

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the movies are quite good. I still need to catch up with this one. I can remember watching these when the first came out on VHS back in the early 90's which they was really scary and gruesome then. I think nowadays we're to used seeing to much gore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I got to say, I really enjoyed this movie. I was nervous going in that it wouldn't honor Sam Raimi's masterpiece, but thankfully it played plenty of homage to the original. While part of me does miss the humor, I don't mind that much since I got plenty of action and gore.

    I finally got around to reviewing this movie on my own novice, review-blog. I could always use an experienced critic's opinion to help me fine-tune my reviews. Check it out if you get the time.

    http://horrormoviemedication.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-evil-dead-no-more-messing-round-we.html#evil

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...