24 September 2013

Got a job - and what it means for the blog

After having looked for a job for over a year I was finally hired yesterday evening. I was called up by the chief of staff at Kronofogden yesterday evening and was told I got the job (for which I had calculated the odds at 4% during application and 20% after the interview where they had made the second selection). It has been a brutally long recruitment process, I was called up this summer by the recruitment office which wondered if I was still interested in working for  them (as I had applied to numerous jobs before). Then it took two months before I had  the work interview on September 20th, and since then the recruitment had been ongoing.

At one point I even got an email that said that I didn't get the job, but that was due to some internal sever error which had emailed a few applicants the wrong information! Needless to say I have been pretty much holding my breath for over a month.

The work suits me perfectly, and the employer could not have been better. I told them during the interview that I'm looking at this as a long term commitment - with intention to stay within the organization if I get the job. Working for "the man" offers good perks (though my main interest was getting the job) and most of all the stability that I value very highly.

So what does it mean for the blog? Well I started the blog during my first year of Criminology studies, the decision was based on me wanting to collect all of my projects in a single spot where I myself could find and browse them easily. It then evolved over time, finding its direction and running the blog with updates on a daily basis - something I managed to maintain during my 3 years of study and 1 year of unemployment.
The blog meant quite a lot to me during all this time and was always something I could fall back on when times were rough. It provided me with a focus and a daily routine. I also really enjoyed running things, sharing my projects but also attempting to do a bit more than just "paint & show", hence the reviews, battle reports, interviews etc.

Now there will be an inevitable change and while the blog will remain and I will keep running it, posting on a daily basis will most likely not be possible from October 14th and onward once I start my new job. It is more realistic that there will be 3-4 posts per week - I will discover the pace and at what regularity the posts will be up on the blog once I better know my schedule.

Will there be any positive changes to follow these new circumstances? I think so. With a steady income I will be able to invest more into my hobby - so you will most likely start to see things that I was unable to pick up to this point. With this there will be more reviews of hobby products and such. The other thing that I think will change, is my ability to travel - I will be able to participate in future wargaming related events both in Sweden and abroad. For instance, I hope to be able to visit Poland next year for a By Fire & Sword tournament, and perhaps travel to the UK again for the next Salute convention.

My new job is also a strictly Monday-Friday deal, so the weekend games down at the club are not threatened and so you will still see a steady stream of battle reports and boardgame sessions.

In the meantime, I have 3 weeks left before my job starts. I hope to use those 3 weeks as productively as I can - I really hope my Empire of the Dead kickstarter arrives this week (and the paints and brushes I ordered from Wayland Games which were dispatched Monday morning).

I also want to take this moment to thank my great friends Jim Bailey at Grindhouse Games, Konrad Sosinski at Wargamer.pl and Wendy & Andy Cooper over at West Wind productions. All of them happily agreed to help me out as job references and without their help I would not have any valuable contacts to offer the  recruiter. And as you can imagine, it was a funny/weird situation having to explain what miniature wargaming is for the people during the interview who were clueless but intrigued about grown men seriously nerding out to the max by playing with small soldiers haha!

I also want to thank everyone reading and following this blog - it's been and still is a great moral support for me. And I hope that the future changes won't see a decline in your interest!



35 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job, only a mere 40 or so years and you'll be able to retire :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grattis till jobbet! I'm sure it'll only be good for the blog, at least in the long run.
    I'll click the "Join this site" button after posting this, and become your 500th subscriber. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys,

    @mrtn 500 subscribers is a huge milestone for a blog, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! And don't worry. I think, when making the choice between work and daily blog posts, you've made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and well done! All the very best for your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations! you kept your spirit up during job hunting and got the job you liked. Remember that fact during rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and enjoy the break before you start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats mate. Welcome to the working world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alexander, this is fantastic news! Best of luck with your new career :)
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grattis! Really good for you and as someone else said, I think this will only make your hobby and your blog richer.

    /Ulfast

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! I hope all goes well for you.
    Don't worry about posting, this is what readers (rss) is for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, and all the best in the new job. Congrats on 500 followers too, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again for the kind words guys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also to add my congratulations on the job. Well done and I wish you every success in the future.
    Roman

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great news ! Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great news on the job! My blogging, too (although sporadic at best), has suffered due to getting a job teaching - which is very tiring - and killing off my productivity for now; although I hope to get up and running again soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. well done getting your self the job you wanted

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gratulerar, från en statstjänsteman till en annan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the job - always good to have a steady reliable income...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations at getting the job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Weren't we just taking about this the other day? Sychronicity! Congratulations on the job, and don't worry about the blog. Even with update this is still the best blog on the Net IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  22. With fewer updates. I was typing while waking up....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not just any job, but a job you really want with a good employer! Congratulations. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the job! Having a steady income really does improve one's life in so many ways, particularly if it's a job that you want. Will congratulate you in person the next time I pop by the club.

    /Anders

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful to hear you got a job. I myself have been waiting on a job that takes so long to find out if I am in or not. still waiting for my break. =p Once again congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great news. Good luck with the new job and well done for doing what you've done (and so well) for so long

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...