12 January 2014

The Wolf of Wall street, short review

This movie is amazing - go see it!!

The end.

Ok, for those not easily convinced I can say that this is the most hilarious movie I have seen in a very long time. It is funnier than any comedy I have seen in the last couple of years, without doubt,. The story of unscrupulous bastards skinning clueless people for millions of  dollars with worthless penny-stock sales and throwing Caligula style orgies at the office is both outrageous and immensely entertaining to watch.

The two main leads, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill both kill it in their roles. Jonah Hill is funnier than he was in Superbad while Leo does his best performance in a Scorsese movie and if you loved him in Django Unchained you will love him in the Wolf of Wall street where he plays the character Jordan Belfort (based upon a real person). The Belfort character is born with a natural salesman talent and you get to  follow his rise from a worker at a crappy firm all the way to Wall street noted company trading for millions. He makes money while being constantly drugged out of his mind, hookers and midget tossing sports all blend together forming a very bizarre and a very funny plot where Jordan Belfort soon finds himself being investigated by the feds.


There are so many memorable scenes and lines in this movie, I will not spoil any of them because they are gold when you see them. Suffice to say, Leo outdid Jim Carey in terms of physical comedy, making faces and slapstick moments that I was laughing my ass off for most of the 179 minute running time. One scene with a Popeye reference almost had me choke on my drink.

It goes by fast despite its length, and I haven't seen DiCaprio have so much fun playing his character since Django. I read that most of the dialogue is improvised, which would perhaps explain why it feels so natural and at times outlandish. I almost forgot Matthew McConaughey who has a small, but very memorable and extremely funny and well played role, in the movie as well. 

I have only good things to say about this movie, and highly recommend anyone to give it a watch!

10/10

4 comments:

  1. Well, on the one hand, I've heard nothing but good things about this movie. It sounds thoroughly entertaining.

    On the other hand, it's based directly on Jordan Belfort's memoirs. I don't know if he's getting royalties or if Scorsese just purchased the rights for a lump sum, but I *really* don't want to reward this guy for his shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He got paid a lump sum of 900k from what I understand. However I am in the same boat not wanting to support him.

      I did go and see it however. It's a good film and quite funny but Jordan Belford is a nasty piece of work that's for sure.

      Delete
    2. I ended seeing it. I just a ticket for a different movie with the same showtime. Good to know that Belfort isn't making additional money, although it bugs me that he got any. Eh, c'est la vie.

      It is amazing that Scorsese could make 3 hours fly by so quickly.

      Delete
  2. Yeah Belfort is an ass, but the movie and the Scorsese+DiCaprio magic is well worth worth it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...